|Political Campaigner, Nick Le Cornu|
St Helier No.1 By-Election
Social reform campaigner to stand
Havre des Pas resident, Nick Le Cornu, is to stand for election for Deputy in St Helier No 1 district.
Mr Le Cornu is a qualified English Solicitor, has practiced commercial law and litigation in the City of London. He now specialises in employment law and is currently assisting Union members with employment issues.
He is also the Secretary of the Jersey Human Rights Group, which campaigns for greater equality and anti-discrimination measures.
‘Social and Political reforms are now urgent,’ says Mr Le Cornu.
‘In recent years, we have seen a decline in the standard of living of ordinary islanders as the tax burden has shifted from corporations to personal taxation. We need to elect States Members who want to change this.’
‘My priorities will be:
- To improve the quality and affordability of private and social rented accommodation.
- To implement statutory maternity and paternity leave.
- To oppose any suggestion of an increase in GST.
- The fight for a true ‘living wage’.
- End the overuse of zero-hour contracts.
- Investing in Fort Regent, with improved access from Snow Hill – this is vital.
- Managing population growth.
- Fair representation for St Helier.’
Mr Le Cornu was also active in the Option A campaign, the option which St Helier
backed2:1 against 'option B' - which would have left St Helier greatly under-represented.